Two men jailed for €14m cocaine haul at 'one-stop shop for drug trafficking'
Tom Tuite
Two men have been jailed for 11 years after gardaí uncovered a sophisticated "one stop shop for drug trafficking" in Co Laois that led to a €14m of cocaine haul last year.
Robert Wojtanowicz (46) and Robert Cup, who turned 46 on Tuesday, had pleaded guilty to unlawfully possessing cocaine and about €100,000 of cannabis, possessing them for sale or supply, and having drugs worth over €13,000, which can carry a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years and up to life imprisonment.
The Polish nationals admitted having implements for use in drug trafficking offences, punishable by a five-year jail term.
The seizure took place on February 4th 2025, at a garage, when members of the Dublin Crime Response Team (DCRT) raided Laois Motor Works on Manor Street, Mountmellick.
They were due to face trial at the Laois Circuit Court in February, but changed their pleas to guilty after being served with additional evidence.
They were sentenced on Tuesday by Judge Keenan Johnson, presiding at Mullingar Circuit Court.
In his judgment, he stated that they were equally culpable and were caught red-handed acting together at a high level in the production and distribution of the drugs.
Both men previously entered eleventh-hour guilty pleas ahead of their trials, avoiding a costly hearing, which counsel estimated would have taken up to three weeks.
Judge Johnson referred to the evidence outlined by DCRT Detective Inspector Ken Houlihan that gardaí found 182 kilogrammes of cocaine and four kilogrammes of cannabis herb valued at €12,820,000 in the garage leased by Wojtanowicz.
There were five vehicles "especially adapted to conceal drugs," three of which had had hydraulic mechanisms fitted to facilitate opening and closing of the secret drug storage sections.
Bags of cocaine were found in the concealed compartment of a Ford Kuga; another car, of the same make, had 41 blocks of cocaine.
A different vehicle had 57 kilos of cocaine, a Land Rover had 30 kilogrammes of the same drug, and a Fiat car had four kilogrammes of cannabis.
Wojtanowicz owned three of the cars; the others were in the names of third parties.
Both men were in the garage at the time of the search. Father of one Wojtanowicz told officers there were drugs there and showed them some one-kilogramme bags of cocaine, but did not disclose the huge amount hidden in other parts of the premises and in vehicles.
Multiple cocaine ovens and cocaine presses were discovered in the property.
Judge Johnson noted the description by gardaí that it was a "one stop shop for drug trafficking, it involved the wholesale manufacture and distribution of cocaine, and it appears the premises were used wholly and solely for the drug trafficking business."
Cup was also questioned but at first would not identify himself to gardaí.
Officers recovered €20,000 in suspected crime proceeds at Cup's home in Eaton Park, Rathcoole, Dublin.
A Ford Kuga parked outside had 17 kilogrammes of cocaine valued at €1,190,000 and an overall total of 14.1m.
Wojtanowicz did not comment during six interviews; Cup acknowledged his address and that he used the Kuga outside his home.
Wojtanowicz, of Manor Grove, Mountmellick, had lived in Ireland since 2005. He received a two-year suspended sentence in 2021 for theft here.
In Poland, his crimes included fraud, forgery and breach of a court order.
Cup had been in Ireland since 2000, living in a rented house with his partner.
A European Arrest Warrant (EAW) had been issued to Polish authorities in 2024, where he is awaiting a two-year sentence for burglary, dangerous driving and assault. He had no prior record of offending in Ireland.
Both were remanded in custody since their arrest.
The judge said the bulk of the drugs consisted of cocaine, which has permeated and affected every sector of society. He said he had to consider the grave, destructive consequences of the substances.
He described the setup as a sophisticated operation that had been going on for at least a year, requiring significant planning and premeditation, and for profit.
Judge Johnson said both men had little option but to plead guilty, given the overwhelming evidence, but he accepted that they did not have the trappings of wealth.
Marc Thompson Grolimund SC submitted that Wojtanowicz cooperated by pointing out where some of the drugs were located.
Letters and testimonials were furnished to the court, which heard that the two men were enhanced prisoners. Wojtanowicz profusely apologised in a letter vowing never to reoffend after his release.
Dara Foynes SC, for Cup, said he had poor command of English, which would make his incarceration more difficult.
She stressed that his prior offending in Poland occurred over 20 years ago, when he had 20 months left to serve of a two-year sentence, which has led to the EAW being issued.
Judge Johnson noted from Foynes that Cup had not otherwise come to Garda attention and had shown some level of cooperation.
Reports from his community described him as a kind and generous man who helped others and fixed cars for neighbours.
However, Judge Johnson remarked that those references came from people "But Who only knew him as a law-abiding man".
He imposed a 12-year, six-month sentence on each accused, but noted the mitigating factors, including separation from their families.
He suspended the final 18 months for five years. They also received concurrent five-year sentences.
They sat silently throughout the hearing and showed no emotion as they were jailed. The judge granted a destruction order for the drugs and the cash seized
