Prayer vigil to be held for Carlow family seriously injured in M9 crash

The vigil is taking place tomorrow and it will be livestreamed for those who can't attend
Prayer vigil to be held for Carlow family seriously injured in M9 crash

A vigil is taking place tomorrow (Friday) for the Carlow family who were seriously injured in a crash on the M9 motorway at Moone in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Alma and Niamh Kinsella, who are in their 30s, remain in a serious condition at Tallaght University Hospital.

Their younger sister Ella Hendricken (20s) is being treated for serious injuries in St Vincent’s University Hospital, while her seven-year-old nephew Yemi is being treated for serious leg injuries at Crumlin Children’s Hospital.

The vigil is taking place at 6.30pm at St Clare’s Church, Graiguecullen, and it will be livestreamed from the following link for those who can’t attend: St Clare's Church, Carlow Back Camera.

A post on the Graiguecullen/Killeshin Parish Facebook page said, “Join us for a Prayer Vigil as we come together in faith and hope to pray for the full recovery of Ella, Niamh, Alma and Yemi.” 

It continued: “In moments like these, our community becomes a source of strength. Together, we will ask God to surround their family and friends with comfort and strength for the difficult road ahead.” 

The injured family, who are originally from Bennekerry but now live in Graiguecullen, were making their way to Dublin Airport to travel to the UK for a family wedding when a car travelling down the wrong side of the motorway collided with them.

All five teenage occupants of the other vehicle died in the crash.

Meanwhile, a GoFundMe page has been set up to support the family through their recovery. Since it was put online on Tuesday, it has amassed over €520,000 from some 18,000 donations.

The GoFundMe was set up by Bryan Curley, a close friend of Ella’s, who said it has been an “incredibly difficult and frightening time” for the women and their family.

“They are facing a long and challenging road ahead, and right now, I ask that you keep them all in your thoughts and prayers. All funds are going directly to the family,” he wrote on the donation page.

Speaking on RTÉ’s Morning Ireland earlier this morning, parish priest of Graiguecullen/Killeshin Fr John Dunphy said the vigil will be an opportunity for the community “to show their support to the young ladies and the young boy and their families.” “We’ve been praying at all masses since the news broke on Sunday morning, as has every other parish in Ireland,” Fr Dunphy said.

“The road will be long ahead and, praise God, they will get there soon,” he added.

Fr Dunphy also asked for the public to keep the five teenagers who died in the crash in their prayers.

“This is a real tragic situation. I think people do realise that the boys have parents, siblings, uncles, aunts, cousins and they too are hurting, and they will need our prayers,” he said.

More in this section