Funeral arrangements released for teenager killed in M9 crash, as Gardaí appeal for families' privacy to be respected
Alex McCarthy (16) from Carlow town was one of the five teenagers who died in the M9 crash
THE death notice for one of the five teenagers who were killed in the M9 crash on Sunday morning has been released.
Alex McCarthy, from Carlow town, died when the car he was travelling in went down the wrong side of the M9 motorway at Moone and collided head-on with another vehicle.
The death notice describes Alex, just 16 years old, as "deeply loved by his heartbroken mother Lucelle and father Edward. Adored brother of Jordan, Edward, Donna and Nakita."
It continues: "Cherished grandson of Tina Roycroft and William and Mary McCarthy. Alex will be sadly missed by parents, brothers, sisters, grandparents, loving and heartbroken girlfriend Georgia, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, extended family, relatives and friends."
Funeral arrangements are as follows: Reposing at his home on Thursday 20th August from 3pm until 7pm. Removal Friday 21st at 2.15pm to The Holy Family Church, Askea, arriving for Requiem Mass at 3pm. Burial immediately afterwards in St Mary's Cemetery.
This follows an official statement issued by An Garda Síochána this morning, which said: "The family of the victims of the M9 collision have asked for their privacy to be respected. They wish to inform media that they are not providing interviews at this time."
Alex's cousin Joe "Joey" Carthy, from Clonmullion, Athy, was the first of the five deceased to have a death notice published on Rip.ie; however, this was later taken down from the site.
There had been significant activity in the condolences section of his death notice, with many messages containing abusive material directed at Carthy and his family members.
There has also been significant commentary online in the wake of the crash, with tribute posts from family members of the deceased becoming the subject of thousands of critical comments.
A local person, known to families of some of the deceased and who wished to remain anonymous, spoke to The Nationalist following the incident and criticised such behaviour.
"What adult searches out a dead child's social media account to leave a hateful comment?" they said, questioning the lack of empathy in society. "No matter the circumstances, five children lost their lives, and multiple families are grieving."

