Friday, July 14, 2017

A CONTROVERSIAL protest outside the buildings of Carlow County Council, which ran for more than three weeks, ended last week.

Karen Middleton, a 27-year-old mother of one, had camped outside the council with supporters after emergency accommodation for herself and her son Luke was withdrawn. The decision to end the protest after 24 days is partly due to threats and intimidation that the protestors were receiving, according to Kim Quigley of the Carlow Housing Network, which supported Ms Middleton.

“There was a lot of stuff going on … people being attacked, people threatened. There were a couple of different things,” said Ms Quigley. “There was a lot of abuse.”

Heated scenes at council offices took place in recent weeks and the council had employed security for its offices on the Athy Road. The front door of council buildings was also locked, with security men letting in visitors.

The end of the protest came just days after Ms Middleton began High Court proceedings against Carlow County Council. It is argued that the refusal to provide the Middletons with emergency accommodation was unlawful, as it breached their constitutional rights as Irish citizens and their rights under the European Convention on Human Rights. 

The Nationalist was unable to reach Ms Middleton for a comment.

Ms Quigley would not comment on where Ms Middleton was currently residing, stating they had been told by legal representatives not to make any comment. However, Ms Quigley said Ms Middleton had still not secured accommodation.

Comments are closed.

By Michael Tracey
Contact Newsdesk: +353 59 9170100

More Carlow News