Tuesday, July 22, 2014

FOURTEEN dilapidated houses are to get a new lease of life and undergo a total revamp, thanks to over €170,00 that the government has handed over to Carlow Co Council. Under the scheme, existing council houses that have fallen into dereliction or disuse will be given a total facelift and should be ready by the end of September. Four of the houses are located in Carlow town, another four in Tullow and two in Hacketstown.

A house on Myshall Road, Kildavin, will have the most money, €16,300, spent on its revamp, while an apartment in Phelim Crescent, Tullow, will be the cheapest to do up at €5,500.

“Some of the work has started already,” said the council’s director of services Seamus O’Connor. “They should be finished by September and it means that 14 more families will be able to move into them.”

“This is welcome news for Carlow,” deputy Pat Deering said. “Earlier this year, a similar scheme included €169,000 for work to 12 houses. This brings the number of houses to be refurbished and made available for family use to 26 at a cost of €342,000.

“It’s also a welcome boost for construction workers as most of this work will be carried out by small contractors,” he concluded.

 

 

Comments are closed.

By Elizabeth Lee
Contact Newsdesk: +353 59 9170100

More Carlow News

Darren wins Lions ambassador award